Friday, April 19, 2013

Music of the Soul


My first book is published!

On March 17, 2013 my eBook, Music of the Soul, went live on Amazon.com!  Print on demand paperbacks are live too!  Now it may look like I'm excited about that, but it is actually a series of exciting events culminating in this post.

First let me tell you a little bit about the book before I tell you about the story.  The two main characters in Music of the Soul happen to be gay women.  This automatically slammed my book into the "Lesbian Romance" category on Amazon.com.  But that was never the intent.  Some people (not all) automatically assume that means it is an erotic story.  That's just another flawed stereotype.  No, there is NO smut in my book.

The book is primarily a romance story, the fact that the two people in love happen to be lesbians is beside the point.  It shouldn't matter which two people like each other.  This book is about love, romance and empowering women.  In fact every major characters in this story is a woman, the men just serve supporting roles.

In most of the stories rattling around in my head, some of the main characters face adversities like handicaps, bigotry, bullying, illnesses and other afflictions that make them outcasts in society.  But they come out stronger in the end, after weathering the storm.

---

In Music of the Soul , the book is narrated by the main character, Mandy Harris.  She is the rock world's bad girl who has really lost her way in life.  She leaves the music industry behind to try to find the pieces of herself she lost while skyrocketing to fame.   She returns to Vancouver, Washington... to where it all began.

There she meets the most amazing person, Anabella West.  A deaf girl who "hears" more in Mandy's music than anyone else.  This coupled with her amazing zest for life causes Mandy to become quickly enamored with her.

Through the good and the bad, they both learn to heal, forgive themselves and let love be their salvation throughout the emotional roller-coaster of the story.

---

I thought it was a story worth telling.  So I sat down one weekend and churned out the entire book.  With my wife editing my terrible punctuation and grammar, I feel I put out a passable semblance of a manuscript.  Though it is not polished or professional as most, I still think the story carries trough.

When the eBook went live on Amazon.com, I believed that I'd sell maybe five copies to friends and family.  Imagine my surprise when hundreds of copies sold in the first month alone!  At one point I was ranked #10 in the entire "Lesbian Romance" category.  I was totally psyched about that!



I love all my readers and appreciate any feedback, positive or negative.

For the influx of people that have been requesting that I do another book.  I'm listening!  I finished another manuscript two weeks ago and it is in the final editing stages right now.  A Deafening Whisper, should be published within a week or two.  A third manuscript should be complete this weekend to hand over for editing.

I'd love to hear feedback and discussion from YOU about the characters in Music of the Soul.  I'd love to discuss the story with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment